C.M.S Church AD 1836
The first wave of Missionary thrust to India was by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) in 1816. Though many of the Jacobite theology was at variance with the Protestant theology there was lot of cooperation between the two groups. Among the prominent missionaries were Thomas Norton, Benjamin Bailey, Joseph Fenn and Henry Baker, who were famous among these C.M.S. missionaries. They started the CMS Press in Kottayam in 1821, and began to publish Malayalam Bible and Christian literature for the use of common people. 1825, they published the gospel of Matthew, and in 1828, the New Testament, and in 1841, the complete bible. The church leaders of Malankara Syrian Christian Church and C.M.S. worked together from 1816 to 1836. The Bishops of Malankara Syrian Christian Church, Pulikkotil Mar Dionysius (1817-18), Punnatra Mar Dionysius (1818-27) and Cheppadu Mar Dionysius (1827-52) along with the CMS missionaries started the Seminary now known as Pazhaya Seminary (Old Seminary) for the training of the clergy in 1818.. The theological differences came to surface and in January 16, 1836 there was clear rift between the Missionaries and the Syrian Churches, and CMS and the Church separated. CMS then turned to evangelization among the Hindus. In 1835 Bishop Daniel Wilson of Calcutta visited Travancore and at once saw that the system was unsuccessful. He made a proposition that the Syrian church should reform itself and at the same time keep its independence. Others in vain attempted to induce the Syrians to come to terms. A synod of the Syrian church was held and a majority of those present carried a resolution dissolving connection with the missionary society. The Travancore Darbar, with the approval of the government of madras, appointed arbitrators who divided the endowments of the Syrian college. With the portion allotted to the society, a new college and chapel were erected at Kottayam and English education was continued in it. Towards the end of 1838 the committee of the C.M.S. sent out directions to their Travancore missionaries, that, with the consent of bishop Wilson, they should commence direct missionary work. this they did and thus commenced the second period of the society. The separation resulted ultimately in more friendly intercourse with the Syrians. Some thousands of them have joined the C.M.S. congregations and from them have been chosen and ordained the majority of the clergy of the Anglican Mission. In the C.M.S. Travancore Mission several eminent missionaries have laboured. Besides the trio already mentioned, Benjamin Bailey (1816-1850), Henry baker (1817-1866), and Joseph Fenn (1817-1826), there were Joseph peet (1833-1865), John Hawkesworth (1840-1863) and Henry Baker Jun. (1843-1878), all of whom died at their posts. Peet founded the mission at Mavelikara, Hawkesworth that at Thiruvalla and Henry Baker jun. the interesting mission to the hill Araans. John Chapman, (1840- 1852), fellow of St. John's college, Cambridge, was the principal of the college. He was succeeded by Richard Collins M.A. (1854-1867). Girls' schools were conducted by the wives of most of the early missionaries but chiefly by Mrs. Baker Sen. who managed a school from about 1820 until her death in 1888. Another school was conducted by Mrs. Baker Jun, which was continued by Miss baker and is still managed by the misses' baker. Mr. and Mrs. Lash started another school by the name of the Buchanan institution at Pallam in 1891 for educating native girls and training school mistresses. This has several Branch Schools connected with it. The present principal is the Rev.E. Bellerby The principal station of the society is at Kottayam. Here is the college already mentioned. Messrs Chapman and Collins have been mentioned as its principals. The Rev. J.H. Bishop M.A., Trin, succeeded Mr. Collins. Coll. Cambridge,(1868-1878), who raised it to the matriculation standard. He was followed by the Rev. C.A. Neve (1878-1888). The Rev.A. J. French- Adams m.a., Balliol Coll. Oxford, succeeded him and raised it to the F.A. standard and from that time it has rapidly developed in numbers. The present Principal is the Rev.F.N. Askwith m.a., Queen's Coll. Cambridge. The strength of the college in 1890 was 590. The Rev. John Hawkesworth for the training of mission agents started the Cambridge Nicholson institution also in Kottayam in 1860. Mr. Hawkesworth was succeeded as principal by the Rev. John Martindale Speechly (afterwards bishop). Divinity classes for the training of candidates for the ministry were started in his time. The Rev. Jacob Thompson m.a., began to send up candidates for the oxford and Cambridge university preliminary examinations for candidates for holy orders and several have since passed that examination with credit. The C.N.I. is also recognized by government as an upper secondary training institution. The present principal is the Rev. J.J.B. Palme Other stations of the C.M.S. besides Kottayam are: Alleppey which was occupied in 1816 by T. Norton, Mavelikara founded by Joseph Peet in 1838, Thiruvalla by john Hawkesworth in 1849, Pallam by H. Baker Sen. in 1843, Mundakayam by H. Baker Jun. in 1855. The Rev. R.H. Maddox started the Alwaye Itinerancy with headquarters at Alwaye in 1868 and it has been continued up to date under the following missionaries, Rev. F. Bower, Rev. C.E.R. Romilly, Ven. Archdeacon Caley, Rev. J.H. Bishop and the Rev. I.J. MacDonald. The Ettumanur Itinerancy, formerly known as the Mundakayam district, was worked by Rev. A. T. painter and latterly by the Rev. C.A. Neve. In the Cochin state, the society in 1842 and Kunnamkulam in 1854 occupied Trichur. The town of Cochin was occupied as early as 1824 and the Rev. James Ridsdale was the first missionary who worked there. The station was afterwards given up but was resumed in 1856. At present there is a native congregation under a pastor connected with the society. John Hawkesworth in the Tiruvella district first preached the Gospel to the Pulayas of Travancore as early as 1859. Now there are several vigorous congregations of these down trodden classes all over the country. Several natives have been ordained to the ministry as pastors of the native congregations. The first of these was George Mathan, who was ordained in 1844 and died in 1870. The second was Jacob Chandy who was ordained in 1847 and died in 1870. The next were a group of four ordained in 1856, the Rev. Koshy Koshy, the Rev. O. Mammen, the Rev. G. Kurian and the Rev. J. Tharian. A church council for the management of the several congregations was formed in 1869 and most of the old missionary stations are now under native pastors in connection with the council, thus relieving the European missionaries for direct evangelistic and educational work. At first the missionaries were under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Calcutta but from the printed account of the visitation in 1840 of Bishop Spencer of madras it appears that the missionaries took licenses from him. They remained under the Bishop of Madras until 1879 when the Rev. J.M. Speechly was ordained under the Jerusalem Bishopric Act 111 as bishop having supervision over the C.M.S. missionaries in Cochin and Travancore. Upon his resignation, the Rev.E. Noel Hodges M.A., Queen's College, Oxford, Principal of Trinity College, Kandy, Ceylon, was selected as his successor and was also consecrated under the Jerusalem Bishopric Act as a Missionary Bishop. In 1885 Bishop Speechly appointed the Rev. J. Caley as Archdeacon of Kottayam and the Rev. K. Koshy as Archdeacon of Mavelikara. Archdeacon Koshy was the first native of India appointed to that office and for his services in Bible Revision the Archbishop of Canterbury conferred upon him the degree of D.D. in 1891. He died in 1900 and the Rev. O. Mammen was appointed Archdeacon in his stead. The Rev. W.J. Richards who came out in 1871 as Vice Principal of the College and afterwards worked as Principal of the C.N.I. and missionary at Alleppey, also got a Lambeth D.D. in 1891 for his services in the revision of the Bible and Prayer book. So the missionaries turned to the non-Christians and started working among them. According to a panchayat court verdict, the properties and schools which were common among the missionaries and the Malankara Syrian Church were divided following the declaration of the church commonly known as Mavelikara Padiyola.. One group of believers and priests who believed in the reformation principles joined with the C.M.S and started the CMS church. Those who came from the Syrian Christian Church retained their identity even within the new church. Another group of believers under the leadership of Palakunnathu Abraham Malpan (1796-1845) decided to stay in Malankara Syrian Church and worked for reformation from within the church.